I’m fed up with ugly tissue boxes. Even the semi-cool ones never match my decor. I used to buy the white tissue boxes from Target, but they discontinued them. So I took matters into my own hands. I found this wooden tissue box cover at a thrift store for a couple bucks. After removing the peeling decoupage and adding embellishments of my own, it’s transformed from eyesore to mod statement.
1. Skip this step if you buy an unfinished box, but if you ever want to remove decoupage, this is how I did it: Scrape off the top layer of glue and paper with a glass scraper, then sand off the remains with coarse sandpaper.
2. Lightly sand the entire box with fine sandpaper. Remove dust with vacuum and/or tack cloth.
3. Decide on the pattern you want to create with the Woodsies. Apply a dab of glue to the back of each piece, spread around with a toothpick, and adhere it to the box in the spot you chose.
4. Continue until all the pieces are glued on. Let dry at least half an hour.
4. Paint one coat of primer. Use a relatively dry brush to avoid drips and globs. Let dry at least half an hour.
5. Apply two coats of paint, letting it dry at least an hour after each coat. Insert a boutique tissue box, and you’re done.